Friday, January 24, 2014

Wines and Whines

Here is my paradox: I get drunk often,
            And at times opportune, on the wine
 Of life.  Any and all finds my bloodstream soften
      And bulge at the banks: shadows that line

The window like puppetering silhouettes.
         Thoughts in the shower that shower me in
Thoughts that maybe, just maybe, I get
   Some jots of Spinoza.  And this is when I begin

 To give over to playful puzzle.  I want it prolonged. 
        Like unearthly sounds of sirens soft
 That subdue with inebriated song,
   I am lured by my thoughts aloft

Where they are as sensitively held
         Up like the wings of the flighted bird.
   And the very spirit of the mind alights and melts
        Into those things and thoughts that are observed.

I want it prolonged.  So enhancement takes
         The simple liquid form of
   The deepest darkest red, an ambrosial sate,
       A transfusional turn toward Bacchus’s blood,

  His for mine, so the sirens might sing on.
And shadowed shapes might shimmer anew.
      And the showered thoughts might fall upon
            A brain like a blade of grass with dew.

But beware. This need for dilation does not
        Make inspirative progress swell.
It can transform a man to a bloody sot
And serves to drown those original thoughts that welled

   With an all too natural flow,
     Then go to drought then seem as dead.   
          The alluring elixir in a slow
And poisonous meandering thread

 Drowns that natural high and more
    Than this, cause those thoughts to seep
Outside the realm of the original core
       And find them reach for forgetful sleep.

           So let those lofty thoughts both wax
     And wane in a natural swing and sway.
This is where the wine of life will not tax
        The need to force them, nor force them all away.

No comments:

Post a Comment